VALLEY VILLAGE, CA – Hundreds of people come forward about child sexual abuse in the United Kingdom football community. This stems after a former footballer told police he was allegedly abused while playing in the league.
Credit, The Guardian.
The ex Newcastle United defender, David Eatock, said Coach George Ormond allegedly abused him. Eatock said it happened when he was 18 to 21 years old. Ormond was sentenced to six years in jail in 2002 on a number of offences including assaulting seven boys.
The National Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children released a hotline number for people to call and speak in confidence to report any child abuse. The National Police Chief Council said they’ve received over 800 calls with a large number of high profiled footballers speaking out. So far 350 people have reported sexual abuse in the U.K football community, among those reports 20 are football players. National Police Chief, Simon Bailey, said he expects the number of reports to continue going up. Manchester police have identified 10 suspects.
Football Association chief executive, Martin Glenn, said he doesn’t believe allegations that the clubs were paid to be silent and cover up reports of child sexual abuse. Glenn also added he promises to investigate these claims. FIFA released a statement saying they’re aware of the allegations and will be monitoring them closely. England’s Football Association has launched an internal investigation as of Sunday.
By, Mabelynn Capeluj.
Contributions from CNN, BBC, and ESPN FC.
Photo, The Guardian.